The Kattaikkuttu Sangam is a social mission driven performing arts organisation that uses the integration of liberal education and the performing arts to promote and contemporize Kattaikkuttu and ensure sustainable careers for its professional performers. It combines Kattaikkuttu's traditional artistic knowledge and communicative power with sophisticated craftsmanship and perfection in order to address multiple audiences: rural, urban, national and global.
The Kattaikkuttu Sangam is managed by and for professional Kattaikkuttu performers whose core business is the Kattaikkuttu theatre.
- Promote Kattaikkuttu as a contemporary theatre in its own right;
- Build a new generation of young, talented Kattaikkuttu performers (through the Kattaikkuttu Gurukulam - the Sangam's residential Youth Theatre School);
- Create sustainable livelihoods for professional Kattaikkuttu performers;
- Organize an annual theatre festival;
- Explore and use Kattaikkuttu's artistic potential in order to create new work.
We believe that—
- Quality artistic training and education are compelling instruments to break the vicious circle of chronic poverty and social and cultural disempowerment of Kattaikkuttu's traditional practioners, patrons and audiences;
- Professional Kattaikkuttu training and performances should be equally accessible to men and women;
- Traditional, all-night Kattaikkuttu performances for rural audiences should be nurtured and developed parallel to innovative Kattaikkuttu plays and ensembles catering to the tastes and needs of urban and international audiences. Both will inspire each other and help build traditional and new audiences.
To realise Kattaikkuttu's full potential as a carrier of traditional artistic knowledge and a theatre embracing innovation and change.
- To explore and strengthen the artistic scope of Kattaikkuttu;
- To train and educate a new generation of young, talented Kattaikkuttu performers;
- To create sustainable livelihoods for Kattaikkuttu actors, actresses and musicians.